Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Day 16 - Brandon, Manitoba to Grand Rapids. Minnesota

This was also a long day, which involved crossing back into the US. I must say that the Canadian Border Guards are much more pleasant to deal with than ours. Today yielded some pleasant surprises, but first, the GPS reading, which, for the second day in a row, I agreed to follow its guidance.


Note that it's back in American-speak since we will be ending in the States. :)

At the border, I had noticed a little note on my AAA maps: International Peace Garden. WELL. So glad I took this route. The following are a whole bunch of photos of this phenomenal place, which should particularly be of interest to my gardener friends: Bea and Sharyn, and my photo friends, Lainey and Patty. I'm sure the 4 of you (and others, could have easily spent hours and hours exploring these grounds, but I just didn't have the time!) I apologize for any duplicate photos.



































Sadly, the monument pictured above is deteriorating, and will soon have to be destroyed, as noted in these pics:




So, after leaving the Peace Garden, it was on to North Dakota, the third in my bucket list state:



While not the world's largest ball of string, I found that the Geographical Center of North America was interesting, and someone even volunteered to take my ugly mug in Rugby, ND:




The next state on my bucket list is the one I'm in now, Minnesota, however the state-line marker on a bridge above the road so I was unable to get a photo as I quickly passed under. I'll try to find a remedy tomorrow, as well as a photo of the headwaters of the Mississippi, as I continue on my journey!

Ending GPS photo tells today's tale:


2 comments:

  1. Hi Gene,
    I have been following your travels since you started.
    I plot the places you have been on Google maps each night to follow your progress across both the US and Canada
    Thank you for the interesting blog as well as the pictures.
    Safe travel as always.
    Veronica and Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul. Sad to leave Canada, but time to head home!

      Delete