Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Day 19 - Maumee, Ohio to Brooklyn Heights, Ohio to Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania

Now that I have some time, I would like to complete the blog. This was on Saturday, August 6, and it involved about a 1 3/4 hour trip from near Toledo to my friend Jeff's house near Cleveland to get a new soft-top installed. The original one on the S was 15 years old, and had developed several pin holes, and even worse, some substantial tears that could not be repaired. In addition, the plastic rear window was badly fogged to the point that it was difficult to see out. Jeff sells Honda and Acura parts on-line, and is an experienced installer, so as it worked out, I was able to arrange my trip to be at his house early Saturday morning for the top install. I was surprised to learn that the interior of the car had to be pretty much completely disassembled to get at all the parts necessary to remove the old top and install the new one. These pics are in order of the removal and installation: WARNING - CAR PICS - Feel free to skip this day's blog if these are boring!











All done! What a pleasure to have a nice, new top. Ready for another 15 years. :)



In addition, when I had the oil changed in Medicine Hat, they told me my engine and cabin air filters were dirty, so I had Jeff get me new ones. These are the old ones:



I would say they needed replacement!

So, day 19 was a complete car guy's day. After the top install, it was on to Cranberry Township, PA, just off the PA Turnpike, northwest of Pittsburgh.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gene,
    the new top looks great.
    How long did it take and did you get a chance to clean out all those nooks and crannies that were open while you had the interior apart lol ?
    Can you give us an idea of how long the install was and how much the average install cost with parts.
    Thanks for the great pics and write up.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Paul
      The actual disassembly and reinstall took approximately 6 hours or so. A long day in the hot sun, and Jeff is an experienced installer. I would bet that someone who rarely or has never done an S2000 top would take substantially longer. Jeff gave me a great price on the parts ($1,100 US) and his labor, so the total cost was about $1,500. To me, it would be worth the trip to Cleveland to have the job done!

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, I was able to vacuum out quite a bit of collected debris, including some coins and Oreos!

      Delete