Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Day 2 - Jackson, Ohio to Olney, Ilinois

After a good night's sleep, I left Jackson around 8:00 AM determined to make the most of this beautiful day, and I think I succeeded!

This is what my GPS told me I should expect for today's shorter drive (sorry about the tilted picture):



However, I decided to ignore its guidance and go by my trusty AAA paper maps. First of all, I thought I would briefly explore Jackson, and this was the only thing I found photo worthy:



Leaving town, even though the route numbers were mysteriously missing, I found some outstanding twisty roads. Of course, I soon found myself stuck behind this guy:




However, he soon turned off, and I was too busy enjoying the road to take any pictures. Passing through a small town, I spotted a sign that said: "Covered Bridge Road," so I just had to turn off, and I found this:






To bypass Cincinnati, I had to briefly pass through northern Kentucky. As I neared the Ohio River crossing to Indiana, I came upon this park overlooking the river, so thought I would stop and take a picture:



After crossing into Indiana, the terrain reminded me very much of where I grew up in the Piedmont region of North Carolina. Imagine my surprise, when, rounding a corner, I came upon this, a field of tobacco, just like at home! I just wonder where the market is for this? Somewhere in nearby Kentucky, I suppose, though I did see lots of Amish farms around.



Finally, my GPS reading at the end of the day: Tomorrow, off for Ottawa, Kansas!




4 comments:

  1. Looks like some nice weather you're having. I'm glad you got a good night's sleep the first night. I'm the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine the tobacco fields brought back memories of life on the farm. Bea sent you blob to me so I am just reading it. Looking forward to following you and your wonderful pics on this trip. lls

    ReplyDelete